Copiague Memorial Public Library

HOME LIBRARY INFO ADULT / SENIOR CHILDREN TEEN QUICK REGISTRATION NEWSLETTER SITE MAP LIBRARY NEWS
Search Catalog

Copiague Catalog
L I Link
Check Your E-mail
View Your Account
Register for Programs
View Your Programs
Calendar of Events
Today at the Library
Upcoming Events

What's New
Contact Us
Bus Trips
Museum Passes
Library Locator
News & Weather
Digital Librarian
Copiague Community
NoveList
Online Career Center
Internet Links
Research by Subject
Going Mobile?

Follow CopiagueLibrary on Twitter

Community Information

Click Here for Copiague Chamber of Commerce

Copiague History

Copiague is located on the south shore of Long Island, New York, in the Town of Babylon and the County of Suffolk. Copiague is bordered by Amityville Village, Lindenhurst Village and the Great South Bay. It is approximately 35 miles east of New York City and 70 miles west of Montauk Point. The Copiague Union Free School District creates our borders which results in patrons residing in Copiague, Amityville and Lindenhurst.

Copiague, an Indian name which means Place of Shelter, was originally inhabited by native American Indians. In 1693, Chief Wyandanch sold land, which included Copiague, to early settlers, who renamed it South Huntington, for 12 coats, 20 pounds of gunpowder, 20 hatchets and 20 knives. During the Revolutionary War settlers joined the Suffolk County Militia, among these was Zebulon Ketcham, our most noted local patriot. President George Washington toured Long Island while in office and dined at the Ketcham Inn. The Inn is no longer standing, but a stone marker, located on the corner of Deauville Bouelvard and Merrick Road diagonally across from the Copiague Library, depicts its' original location. By the 1800's, Copiague had changed its' name several times including Huntington South, Great Neck and Amityville South before finally, once again, becoming Copiague.

At the turn of the century, Copiague became home to a large population of Italian immigrants. John Campagnoli, an Italian engineer, purchased the land north of the railroad tracks and renamed it Marconiville in honor of his close friend, Guglielmo Marconi, inventor of the wireless telegraph. Mr. Marconi, beginning in 1912 and for several years thereafter, visited Copiague each summer. Many streets in this area bear the name of famous Italians.  Click here to read more about Marconiville

In the 1920's, an area which was named the American Venice was constructed in Copiague. It was designed to resemble Venice, Italy with canals and arched bridges. Local residents could be seen riding gondolas in the canals.

With the end of World War II, the Copiague community boomed. New homes began to line the streets and avenues of the community. Stores, banks and restaurants followed. The Copiague School District, originally a one building structure, now includes three elementary schools, one middle school and a high school which serves a population of 25,000.

Today, Copiague has a diverse population which continues to change and grow. A large Hispanic and Eastern European influx has taken place adding to our multi-cultural heritage.

Visitors may travel via the Long Island Railroad and all major roadways. Tanner Park, a recreational area which includes a beach located on the Great South Bay, is a town cultural center that houses the Tanner Park Senior Citizen Center, baseball and soccer fields and a boat marina.

Read more about Copiague Neighborhoods

Library History ....

 

Copiague Memorial Public Library, 50 Deauville Boulevard, Copiague, NY 11726-4100 (631)691-1111 Information(a)copiaguelibrary.org
Hours: Monday-Friday 10 AM - 9 PM  Saturday 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM  Sunday 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM